- Construction year: 1918
- Builder: Avonside
- Undergoing restoration
The locomotive is currently undergoing restoration in our goods shed at Bitton.
No. 1798 was originally ordered to help the war effort but wasn’t completed until after the war finished in November 1918 and was subsequently sold to the Imperial Smelting Works at Avonmouth, where it spent its entire working life before finally retiring in 1972.
It was bought by the Avon Valley Railway and stored at Fry’s chocolate factory in Keynsham until it was moved a year later to Bitton for restoration work to begin.
Once restored the locomotive received a plain black livery and was named ‘Edwin Hulse’ after a founder member of the railway.