The Avon Valley Railway offers you the chance of a lifetime to realise your dream of driving a steam or diesel locomotive.
Due to Coronavirus some Events have been unfortunately cancelled
See for more information Coronavirus update
We offer three different experiences throughout the year, from our steam taster, 3 hour Diesel Multiple Unit (DMU) or full day diesel locomotive course, all under the expert supervision of our experienced Drivers and Firemen. All courses include an introduction to the locomotive, safety briefing, commemorative certificate and gift membership of the Avon Valley Railway for a year so you can keep up to date with our progress.
There are a few pieces of safety information that you’ll need to consider before booking one of our Experiences and this can be found below. You’ll need to read this before the day and sign a copy before you’re permitted onto the footplate.
Experience 1 – Drive a steam locomotive
- Drive and fire a steam locomotive under guidance of qualified instructors
- 2.5 hour experience
- Light refreshments provided
Experience 2 – Drive a Diesel train
- Drive and act as secondman on our resident BR Class 31 diesel locomotive No 31330 Calder Hall Power Station, hauling empty passenger coaches.
- Full day experience
- Act as shunter and guard
- Refreshments (including lunch) provided
DExperience 3 – Drive a Diesel Multiple Unit (DMU)
- Drive and act as secondman on our resident Class 107 two-car Diesel Multiple Unit (DMU)
- 3 hour experience