Running a heritage railway requires a diverse range of people and skills. There are over 30 different volunteer roles at the Avon Valley Railway and, between them, our existing volunteers contribute over 30,000 hours a year to our cause. However, if we are to continue to grow, we need your help.
It has been a challenging year for us all, not least because we have been unable to welcome new volunteers to our team. However, we have used this enforced downtime to overhaul our recruitment and induction processes.
In the next few months, as the country unlocks and our railway reopens, we can begin to start welcoming new volunteers to our team. Register your interest now to make sure you don’t miss out on important news and information.
If you would like to ensure that you do not miss out on notifications, please go to the form so that you can register your interest now.
The Most Popular Jobs
- Steam & Diesel Locomotives – Locomotive repairs and maintenance, footplate crews
- Carriage & Wagon – Restoring, painting, woodworking, carriage maintenance
- Permanent Way – Track maintenance and repairs
- Ticket Inspector – Travel the line inspecting tickets and answering questions
Other Jobs We Need Help With
- Booking Office – Welcoming visitors, selling tickets and answering phones
- Gift Shop – Serving in the station shop
- On Train Catering – Assiting serving our popular daytime and evening meal events
- Publicity & Editorial – Assisting with our marketing both on and off site
- Raffle ticket sellers – Help raise funds for the charity
- Station Maintenance – Painting, carpentry, building repairs and grass cutting
- Gardeners – Help our maintenance team look after the station gardens