Santa Specials 2020
PLEASE READ BEFORE BOOKING
Many of you have been asking whether we’ll be running our Santa Steam Specials this year. You’ll be pleased to know that, despite us needing to do a few things differently, we very much want to welcome you and your family for some festive cheer. Christmas comes just once a year after all!
If you’ve visited us since lockdown you’ll know that we’ve changed the way we’re selling tickets with each family group being seated in their own compartment, separate from other passengers. For our Santa trains, simply choose the date and time you wish to travel and select one of the available compartments. Then, select the different ticket types for the people travelling with you and ‘seat not required’ for any you don’t need. That stops anyone else from being able to sit with you on the day. You’ll understand that it’s been a difficult year for us so please do consider filling as many of the seats with your family or friend ‘bubble’. Just remember to adhere to the latest Government restrictions in place.
Once onboard, Santa will meet and greet each family group as usual, but he won’t be able to enter individual compartments or stop and have a long conversation. He’ll be available for photographs when you return to Bitton rather than part way through the journey like he’s done before. He’s also going to have to make some changes to the gifts he gives out as the virus is causing no end of problems for his elves in Lapland. They’re having real problems getting hold of everything they need to make presents for all the little boys and girls. Therefore, specifically for this year, he wants to give a gift more suitable for all ages. This will be in the form of a high quality plush teddy bear (hopefully railway-themed and bespoke to the railway) for all children aged from 1 to 7 with a couple of presents suitable for our youngest infant visitors as well as older boys and girls aged 8 to 15. We know this is a much more simple arrangement than Santa has previously provided but we hope you understand his reason at this time.
You’ll be pleased to know that the festive Christmas donkeys will be returning and you’ll be able to see these on the lawn at Bitton, either before or after you’ve travelled on the train. Once you’ve left, our elves will then be working hard cleaning and sanitising the train before the next passengers arrive.
We’ll do our absolute best to provide all of the usual elements of our Santa experience; the train ride, the chance to meet Santa and a present for all children. But, as you’ll appreciate, this year is very different and restrictions may be imposed at the last minute meaning some of these may just not be possible on the day. We hope you’ll understand if this happens and, so long as the station can be open, you’ll be able to visit and collect your child’s gift, hopefully from Santa or possibly one of his elves. In these circumstances we unfortunately won’t be able to offer a refund, but as a charity we hope you will see this as a donation to support us through these difficult times.
We very much look forward to welcoming you to our Santa Specials. It’ll be slightly different, but just as enjoyable!
What’s Included in your ticket
A 50 minute (six mile) trip in a heritage carriage behind one of our steam locomotives
A short greeting from Father Christmas as he greets each family as he passes through the train and a photo opportunity with him when you return to Bitton Station
A quality present for each child, given out onboard
A mince pie or festive biscuit for everyone to enjoy as they go on their journey
The chance to meet the Christmas donkeys on the platform at Bitton Station
Trains will depart from Bitton Station at:
10:15, 11:45 13:15 14:45* & 16:15*
(* does not run on Monday 7th)
Sat 28 & 29 November: £10 per seat
Sat 5 & Sun 6 December: £15 per seat
Mon 7 December: £10 per seat
Sat 12 & Sun 13 £15 per seat
Sat 19 & Sun 20 £16 per seat
Tues 22, Wed 23 & Christmas Eve £16 per seat
Tickets cost between £10 & £16 per person (both adults and children) depending on the day you choose. Infants (under 1 year) are just £5 if you would like Santa to give them a present.
How To Book
Advanced booking is essential for this event. Simply select the date and time of your choice and you will then be shown a graphical layout of the carriages. Choose a carriage and the seats you would like from those that are available. As soon as you select one seat, all eight seats in the compartment (or the table opposite in the case of Coach D) will become selected. That way no other family group can end up sitting next to you (that just helps manage social distancing). Choose the ticket types you need and ‘seat not required’ for any remaining seats in the compartment. Then just login or create a customer account and follow the instructions to pay for the tickets as you would any other online purchase.
- As already stated, we will do our absolute best to provide all of the usual elements of our Santa experience; the train ride, the chance to meet Santa and a present for all children. But, as you’ll appreciate, this year is very different and restrictions may be imposed at the last minute meaning some of these may just not be possible on the day. We hope you’ll understand if this happens and, so long as the station can be open, you’ll be able to visit and collect your child’s gift, hopefully from Santa or possibly one of his elves. In these circumstances we unfortunately won’t be able to offer a refund, but as a charity we hope you will see this as supporting us through these difficult times.
- An administration charge of £5.00 may be made for cancelled bookings and £5.00 for alterations to bookings.
- For your comfort, smoking is not permitted on the train. Dogs, except guide dogs, are not allowed on the train.
- Promotional discount vouchers and members’ concessions are not valid during this period.
- Refunds are not issued if you do not arrive on time, and whilst every effort will be made to accommodate you on a later train, this cannot be guaranteed.
- Limited accommodation for wheelchair passengers is available on request – please state your requirements clearly when booking.
- Whilst every effort will be made to maintain the timetable the Company does not guarantee that the trains will depart at the times stated, and reserves the right to cancel, alter or suspend any train without notice or to substitute any locomotive. No liability for loss or inconvenience can be accepted.