1940s Weekend Saturday 27 and Sunday 28 September
Join us for our 1940s Weekend to relive what life was like during the war years. A mixture of displays and hands-on activities will portray what the war meant to the everyday lives of the civilian, military personnel and, of course, the railway.
While not compulsory, visitors are encouraged to dress up in period costume or allied military dress and soak up the atmosphere.
Remember to bring your National Registration Card and ration book. Travel and food may be refused with out it!
Things to see and do
- Steam trains
- War Department shunting engine used during the Normandy invasion
- Demonstration freight train complete with mock ammunition wagon
- Sentry box and barricade
- An unexploded bomb
- Stalls showing wartime life
- Display of military and civilian vehicles
- 1940s Beauty salon – ladies get your hair done, 1940s style!
- Fry’s chocolate factory display – chocolate making during the war
- 1940s music with LIVE performances at regular intervals throughout the day
- Children’s arts and crafts – make your own gas mask box
- Look out for some characters from the war – war reserve policeman, land girls, ARP and a spiv to name a few
- Victory Street - celebrate the end of the war in with our street party scene and period specialities from the buffet
Some activities may involve a small additional charge but these will be made clear on the day.
Our Fares include unlimited train travel on the day of purchase, access to the exhibits (some additional charges may apply), free parking at Fry’s Chocolate Factory and use of the shuttle bus between Fry’s and Bitton Station.
Complimentary tickets, members tickets and discount vouchers are NOT valid for this special event.
Tickets including event site entry and unlimited travel:
- Adults £8.50
- Concession £7.50
- Child £7.00
- Family (2 adults + 4 children) £24.00
- All £2.00
Why not beat the queues and book online? Event site and train tickets can be purchased here.
A special train timetable will be in operation during this weekend, featuring steam and period diesel locomotives and a demonstration war freight train. Trains start from approximately 10:00 and finish approximately 17:30.
A copy of this timetable will be made available online shortly.
Getting to the event
Please note there is no parking at Bitton Station. All parking is at Fry’s Chocolate Factory near Keynsham. Event signage will direct you there. A free vintage shuttle bus will operate between Fry’s and Bitton Station throughout the day.
You may find this page useful for directions to Bitton Station - but please follow event signage to event car park.
Limited disabled parking is available at Bitton Station. Please contact Bitton Station in advance of the weekend on 0117 932 5538 to reserve your space.
If you would like to help support this event by appearing as an exhibitor, re-enactment group or community group please complete the interest form below and return it to Bitton Station.
|1940s Weekend Interest Form||98.58 KB|